“What should I do with my life?”
“Why am I here?”
I struggled with those questions. For years. Knowing what my purpose for being on this planet was? Not a clue! Whether it was because of my upbringing or culture or confusion, the idea was firmly planted in my brain that right out of high school I should know exactly what I was supposed to do for the rest of my entire life. And I had absolutely NO idea! None.
“What are you going to be when you grow up?” That was the question people asked when I was a kid.
Nobody ever asked me what I wanted my life to be like or what kind of person I hoped to become . . .
Or what would give my life meaning. . .
Happiness hardly ever came up, unless it was coupled with the need to find a “good job”. . .
Even as an adult, what I wanted my life to look like rarely came up.
Has anyone ever asked you that question?
If you’re struggling to define your purpose, figure out your best path forward, or write a new chapter in your life, I encourage you to reflect on the 20 questions below. Answering them helped me zero in on my purpose and how to chart a better course for my life. They can help you too.
Nobody needs to see your answers so don’t pull any punches. Don’t hide from your truth. Take your time.
New directions and personal growth begin with questions . . .
- What grabbed my interest and held it when I was a kid?
- How about now? What do I love doing?
- These are my core values _____________ (For example, honesty, compassion)
- How am I living them now?
- Six words that describe my life up to now are ______________________
- What do I dream about for my future?
- What do I really need?
- Who or what inspires me? Why?
- What kind of people do I want to spend time around?
- When do I feel happiest? What makes me feel good?
- What’s my definition of success?
- What scares me? Why?
- How do I want to show up in the world?
- How am I showing up now?
- What experiences do I value most? Why?
- How do I want the world to be better because I was here?
- What do I still want to learn?
- What’s missing in my life?
- What would make me happier if I let it go?
- When do I feel most connected to my true self?
Here some FREE resources to help you stop settling for less than you want in life. No strings attached. I promise not to clog up your inbox with a zillion emails trying to sell you stuff. I hate that too! Enjoy.
Live Your Purpose. Love Your Life. Make It Count!
Bonnie Pond is an inspiring speaker and founder of the international Make Your Life Count Movement. She’s the author of The Power of Three: How to be Happy and Get What You Want in Life (Without Doing Anything Illegal, Immoral, or Unethical) and Unlock Your Creativity: 30 Days to a More Creative YOU! and self-described “Bahooda Kicker” who helps women stop settling for less than they really want in life. Her mission is to motivate women around the world to live their purpose, love their lives, and make them count.