Procrastination is a thief — of time and of dreams. We all put things off once in a while, that’s normal. Sometimes the task isn’t particularly exciting or it’s too hard or overwhelming or we’re tired, so we avoid doing it. And, let’s be honest, sometimes it’s because of fear. “What if I can’t pull this off? What if I can, then what? Am I ready for this? What if people see that I’m not perfect?”
If you’ve become way too good at procrastination, it’s time to get bahooda-kickin’ serious about making some changes.
As a “recovering procrastinator” myself, here are 25 of my favorite quotes to stop putting things off, get off my bahooda, and start doing instead of dawdling:
- Procrastination is one of the most common and deadliest of diseases and its toll on success and happiness is heavy. — Wayne Gretzky
- How soon ‘not now’ becomes ‘never.’ — Martin Luther
- Someday is not a day of the week. — Janet Dailey
- Procrastination makes easy things hard, hard things harder. — Mason Cooley
- My biggest regret could be summed up in one word, and that’s procrastination. — Ron Cooper
- Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work. — Stephen King
- Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone. — Pablo Picasso
- Great acts are made up of small deeds. — Lao Tzu
- Procrastination is opportunity’s assassin. — Victor Kiam
- Perfectionism is a disease. Procrastination is a disease. ACTION is the cure. — Richie Norton
- To lead from the front you must get off your behind. — Orrin Woodward
- Never put things off . . . you will wake up and find them gone. — James Jones
- It is always easier to edit what has been written than to write what has not been done. — Cody McLain
- Let’s make progress, not excuses. — Justin Cotillard
- A year from now you may wish you had started today. — Karen Lamb
- Until you value yourself, you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it. — M. Scott Peck
- Don’t wait. The time will never be just right. — Napoleon Hill
- Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle. — Abraham Lincoln
- Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows. — Michael Landon
- We are so scared of being judged that we look for every excuse to procrastinate. — Erica Jong
- You are always one choice away from changing your life. — Mary Blochowiak
- The trouble is, you think you have time. — Buddha
- When there is a hill to climb, don’t think that waiting will make it smaller. — Anonymous
- You are too smart to be the only thing standing in your way. — Jennifer J. Freeman
- Never allow waiting to become a habit. Live your dreams and take risks. Life is happening now.
Got a favorite quote about overcoming procrastination? Share it in the comments section!
Bonnie Pond is an inspiring speaker and founder of the international Make Your Life Count Movement. She’s the author of The Power of Three: How to be Happy and Get What You Want in Life (Without Doing Anything Illegal, Immoral, or Unethical) and Unlock Your Creativity: 30 Days to a More Creative YOU! and self-described “Bahooda Kicker” who helps women stop settling for less than they really want in life. Her mission is to motivate women around the world to live their purpose, love their lives, and make them count.